Table of Contents
Volleyball is one of the world’s most participant sport. In a recent survey, around 800 million people enjoy the game globally. Especially in the United States, 37 million persons love the game. Indeed, making it the second most popular sport after basketball. The global acceptance of the game is increasing day by day. There are specific volleyball rules and regulations that one must understand to enjoy the sport to its maximum. Let us look deeper into this aspect of the game.
Types of Volleyball
Before jumping directly into volleyball rules and regulations, let’s try to understand more about the sport. A volleyball team consists of 6 players on each side. There are many variations and types of volleyball. However, there consists of two major categories, indoor and beach volleyball. Both these types are a part of the Olympics and have more popularity and acceptance than other variations.
Like the name refers to, this type is played on the beachside. For instance, artificial sands are set up to play this game. Since the 1964 summer Olympics, it is still an Olympic sport.
It is another major type of volleyball that gets played inside the indoor court. However, this is also a part of the Olympic game.
Volleyball Rules and Regulations
A set of rules and regulations is a fundamental part of any sport. Indeed, it makes the game on track and is very important to maintain certain aspects of a game. Here let us try to understand more aspects of volleyball rules and regulations.
Basic Volleyball Rules
There are a few basic volleyball rules that one should be minimum aware of to enjoy the game.
- At one time, there can be six players on the team. Three players on the front side/row of the court and three on the backside.
- The greatest hits that a team gets permits is three times. Also, for the winning team, rally points are made on every serve.
- Important, a player cannot hit the ball two consecutive times. Furthermore, a block made by a player will not be considered as a hit.
- For a player, it is legal to contact the ball with any parts of the body. However, players cannot hold the ball in their hands and throw; it is an illegal act in this sports perspective.
- Serve is an essential part of volleyball. But a player has no permission to attack or defense a serve within the 10-foot line.
Serving a ball is a beauty to see in volleyball. However, there few things that a player must keep in mind while serving; they as follows:
Before the service, the player must release the ball and take a service position. The position of the server will be behind the end line that is behind zone 1. Also, the foot should not touch the line while making a serve. In case of a jump serve, the player must take off from behind the bar. If these criteria are not followed correctly, the service will be considered invalid or foul.
No screening during a serve
While serving, the players on the particular team must show transparency so that the opponent team sees the serve. Also, the serving team players should not make a defense before they serve. Moreover, the distractive or inappropriate movements and actions that result in the screening of service will be warned.
In any sport, scoring points or goals decides the winner. So a team needs to secure more points than the opponent team for the victory. However, according to different games, the set of the scoring rule varies. The volleyball rules for scoring is different; anyways let’s have a more in-depth look into it.
Generally, in a volleyball match, points are scored by a team when the ball touches the ground of the opponent team. Besides, if a player in the opponent team makes a fault, the team gets the point. Also, if the player on the opposite side makes a penalty, that can result in gaining a point. The team that secures points will get a chance to make a serve.
Matches and Set
A volleyball game proceeds based on sets and matches. A set is based on 25 rally points, and a match comprises a maximum of 5 sets. There can be instances where the teams get ties securing two sets of each out of five. In this case, the final set get reduces to 15 points instead of 25.
Almost in every sport, at instances, faults from the player’s side may happen. The actions taken against such violations vary from each game. Indeed, understanding such aspects is essential to witness a smooth match.
While playing the ball
- A team only have three chance to hit the ball when it is on their side. The third hit of the player should make the ball the ball to the opponent’s court. Even though two-three players hit the ball same time, it will be considered at 2-3 hits.
- A player should not hit the ball continuously two times. In exceptional cases, it can be, but generally, it is a violation.
- There must be a clear hit of the ball from the player. Indeed, the transparency of the hit must be visible.
- A serving player should make a neat and proper serve. The serving team’s teammates must also ensure that they don’t construct any defense before they serve.
- A proper crossing space must be there when the ball goes over the net. In official and international matches certain kind of antenna gets fix on top of the net. Indeed, it defines the appropriate crossing space.
- In instances, the ball may touch the net when it goes over. However, it should not touch and trouble the antenna, wires, and stand.
- Generally, players should not touch the net. But in exceptional cases, if the ball gets drive towards the net, it is possible accordingly.
In context to volleyball, an attack hit means a player hitting the ball with a motive to make the ball to the opponent’s court. However, there are few restrictions in making an attack hit.
- A serve made initially cannot be attacked.
- The back row player has certain restrictions to attack the ball. For example, from the front zone, a back-row player cannot complete the attack.
- The back row player should not block the ball. If it happens, actions are taken against this.
- A player should not touch the ball in a matter of the opponent’s space.
- While blocking the ball, the player should not block the competitor’s space outside the net antenna.
- A serve made initially cannot be attacked.
A libero is a unique position of a player in volleyball team. Indeed, a libero is a defense specialist of a team. The jersey of the libero player will be different from that of the other teammates. However, a libero cannot serve the ball. Also, a libero cannot block the block.
According to the latest sports statistics, volleyball is one of the most emerging sports in the world. Furthermore, incoming days the scope and incorporation of this game in specific sectors have set up new possibilities. In this context, for sports lovers understanding volleyball rules and regulations can be useful enough. Let’s also implement the spirit of this game in our life at challenging times.